Thursday, December 24, 2009

Does shampooing hair with baking soda really take the green out?

I have never heard this before, but I wouldn't think so, based on my ';C -'; chemistry grade in high school, and my fuzzy memory (just warning you that I could be wrong here.)





I think this is in the realm of organic chemistry; way over my head. What I think I know, however, assuming your hair is green from chlorine exposure, is that:





Green hair from chlorine exposure is caused by a build up of copper. I found some info that says a ';sulfide-free shampoo'; works to combat that.





This makes sense. Sulfide is strongly alkaline (pH). So is chlorine. Seems to me like there is too much alkalinity between the chlorine and the chemistry of regular shampoos on the acid pH of your hair and that's causing the discoloration of the copper in it (a normal chemical in your hair and body).





It sounds like the sulfide-free shampoo would neutralize this reaction. Baking soda is on the same end of the pH scale as chlorine, so I wouldn't think that would help, as it would maintain the pH in the same direction.





Linking a pH scale below, so you can see.


Linking a swimmer's shampoo, so you can see.





If there's anyone who can put this is more scientific and accurate terms for me, don't hesitate to e-mail.Does shampooing hair with baking soda really take the green out?
Or you could use something red or orange, like AJAX dish liquid.Does shampooing hair with baking soda really take the green out?
mix it with a swimmers shampoo that is ment to take the green out
What the 'ell made your hair turn green?
I have no idea
It gets rid of product build-up. (Like hairspray, gel, mousse, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment